Wednesday, December 29, 2010

How to Make Your Own Ajax or Comet


Sorry that I have not blogged for a while but the Diapering Gourmet had house guests. I was going to post several blogs on making your own household cleaners in the theme of prepping your house for the holidays and having guests but alas the busyness of the season prevented such aspirations. So here I am, house free of guests and the kids going back to school, so what else would I want to do but CLEAN and get my house back to "normal".  I hate spending money on a thousand different cleaners, also I really hate having all those assorted chemicals in my house. So I started researching how to make a myriad of different household cleaners. Today I will be introducing you to making your own Ajax or Comet. The ingredients for this are simple and this cleaner is handy for scrubbing sinks, toilets, showers, stove tops et cetera. 
First before I tell you how its made, a word on essential oils:
1. It may seem like essential oils are expensive. They can be a little spendy, but they go a LONG way. One 1/2 ounce bottle (which is what I have) contains about 600 drops. In the long run, using essential oils is actually very cheap and useful.
2. Not only are essential oils used for aromatherapy, but they are used as great cleaning agents. Yes, they do make our homemade cleaners smell wonderful, but they also help remove bacteria, mold, unpleasant odors, dust mites, and kill viruses.
3. I bought all of my oils from Whole Foods because they happened to be on sale for about 50% off, however this is not always the case. They can also be found quite reasonably on EBAY and many sellers will happily combine shipping if you are buying several varieties.


Here’s what you need:
1 box (16oz) baking soda
10 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil
10 drops of Lemon EO
10 drops of Cinnamon EO
5 drops of Clove Leaf EO
1. Pour baking soda into a small mixing bowl then add the drops of oils. Blend thoroughly with a fork.

2. I wanted my cleaner in a shaker, so I poured my cleaner into a jar and used a hammer and nail to punch several holes in the lid for the jar. Then voila, clean away!


No comments:

Post a Comment