Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Yogurt From Scratch



My kids love yogurt, but the problem is that the store bought varieties are loaded with sugar and preservatives while also being rather spendy. Lets us also not forget that yogurt is very good for you. It contains live active cultures which aid in digestion, also yogurt can help with constipation and indigestion. Also I need to make everything from scratch and that includes yogurt. A month ago I would never have dreamed of making yogurt myself, but it is actually quite simple and really inexpensive.

Supplies:

  • quart size glass jar
  • candy thermometer
  • 1 quart fresh milk (I read to use non-homogenized, but really who can find that. I used regular milk and it was fine)
  • 2 tsp gelatin
  • 2 tbs yogurt starter from previous batch or plain yogurt (make sure it has live active cultures)
  • large pot
  • heating pad
  • 2 bath towels
Instructions:
  1. Make sure you have clean equipment
  2. In a sauce pan, heat milk between 120 and 180 degrees.
  3. Remove from heat and allow to cool to 110 degrees then add the gelatin and yogurt starter.
  4. Empty jar of hot water then pour your milk mixture inside of it.
  5. Place your jar into the large pot and fill half way up the side of the jar with 110 degree water. Then place on top of the heating pad and wrap the whole thing up in bath towel to maintain the 110 degree temp. Allow to incubate for 10-12 hours or overnight. 
  6. Remove to the refrigerator and allow to cool for three more hours before diving in and enjoying. The yogurt will continue to firm up the more  it cools. 
  7. Make sure to set aside two tbl of your yogurt for your next batch. Use within a week for the best results

4 comments:

  1. Wow that DOES sound easy! What do you do to add flavors to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like honey or berries, but my FAVORITE is canned peaches, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, so glad that you posted this! I've been doing homemade yogurt too, but it's been coming out too liquidy! Now I am excited to try this new method! Don't worry, you are not alone as you are cooking everything from scratch! Keep sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, we are spending a fortune on yogurt with 6 kids! So this recipe is for one quart sized jar, right? You might have to walk me through this one in person. But I think I am game! I hate all the extra sugar my kiddos are getting! We have to chat!

    ReplyDelete